Copeville in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Kentucky native John Miles Cope, who settled in Collin County in 1848 with his parents and brother, helped organize the Copeville community (originally known as Black Spot) in the 1850s on land in the Willis Roberts and Hezekiah Walters surveys. In 1878, he became the town’s first postmaster. By 1885, the community had a church, bank, cotton gin, sawmill, flour mill, saloon and a general store that housed a doctor's office. In 1877, Thomas King platted the original townsite but in 1886, the community moved to a site one mile northeast next to the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe railroad tracks. Local merchant James E. Jones, who gave the railroad land for its right of way and depot, operated the town’s first general store at its new site.
Copeville became the shipping point for the area’s farm products and bois d’arc timber, valued for its dense, tough wood. The Karo School, located at the original townsite, started in 1895. Although the community never incorporated, by the early 20th century, Copeville had grown to about 300 residents. The Copeville school operated from 1913 into the 1940s. In 1921, Copeville became one of the country’s
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17792.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 4.871′ N, 96° 24.973′ W. Marker is in Copeville, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on State Highway 78 north of Farm to Market Road 1778, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Copeville TX 75121, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thompson Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Abston Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Empire Masonic Lodge No. 586 (approx. 3.8 miles away); Farmersville (approx. 6.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Farmersville (approx. 6˝ miles away); Audie Murphy’s Homecoming (approx. 6˝ miles away); Huson Cemetery (approx. 6.6 miles away); Farmersville Masonic Lodge (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.