McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1911 McKinney Post Office
Designed by architect J. H. Suttle, the 1911 McKinney Post Office is a characteristic and well-preserved example of an Italianate post office. The tile roof, ornamental columns, eaves and window configuration are common to the American post office after 1910. These elements and the three-bay arched recessed entry define the facade. The fourth post office to serve the area, the structure was deeded to Collin County by the federal government in 1959 and in 1982 became a Collin County museum.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11815.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Location. 33° 11.871′ N, 96° 36.792′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Virginia Street and Chestnut Street, on the left when traveling west on East Virginia Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Elm Saloon (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1927 Collin County Courthouse (about 800 feet away); Collin County Prison (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Dulaney Cottage (approx. ¼ mile away); Taylor House (approx. ¼ mile away); John Faires House (approx. ¼ mile away); Heard-Craig House (approx. ¼ mile away); Dulaney House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on January 13, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. 2. submitted on March 2, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.