San Luis Obispo in San Luis Obispo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Built in 1905 using granite rock from Bishops Peak. Second peak in San Luis Obispo County's row of majestic mountains ending with beautiful Morro Rock. This local rock can be seen in several structures along the Path of History.
Historic Plaque No. XI Placed by the San Luis Obispo County Historical Society.
Erected by San Luis Obispo County Historical Society. (Marker Number 11.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1905.
Location. 35° 16.781′ N, 120° 39.644′ W. Marker is in San Luis Obispo, California, in San Luis Obispo County. Marker is at the intersection of Morro Street and Marsh Street, on the right on Morro Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 981 Marsh Street, San Luis Obispo CA 93401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. P. Andrews Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of First County Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Luis Obispo Sesquicentennial (approx. ¼ mile away); “Love” and “Double Joy” (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Ah Louis Store (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Luis Obispo.
More about this marker. Marker is located on Morro Street, although the church has a Marsh Street address.
Regarding Presbyterian Church. The First Presbyterian Church of San Luis Obispo was founded in 1875. The first church constructed on this site lasted only a few years. The second church on the site was constructed in 1884 of redwood and held 200 persons. In 1904 this building was moved to the lot next door and used for another 20 years. Where the redwood church had stood, one of locally-quarried granite one was constructed instead, completed in December 1905.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 25, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 1,245 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 25, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.