College Grove in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Old Reedís Store
The Reed family operated the store from 1862 until 1939. Jerome Reed and brothers, William Caleb and Winfield Scott, started it in the home of William Tucker, their grandfather. It later moved to a building closer to the home and as commerce moved up the creek, it settled here. This store, built by Jordan & Ezell in the 1870s, was a Post Office until 1912. Also in this area were a blacksmith shop, steam-powered sawmill, sorghum mill, gristmill and Edward's Grove Methodist Church. The Wood- men of the World met here in the early 1900s. Dr. Odem practiced medicine in the adjacent house. Jerome's sons, George and Buford, ran the store after World War I. Buford ran the store from 1928 to 1939. It was then sold to Robert White.
Erected 2003 by Descendants and Williamson County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 35° 42.972′ N, 86° 45.024′ W. Marker is in College Grove, Tennessee, in Williamson Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6812 Flat Creek Road, College Grove TN 37046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edwards Grove Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Moses Steele Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cross Keys (approx. 2.7 miles away); In Memory of Gideon Riggs 1790-1871 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Riggs Cross Roads (approx. 2.9 miles away); Marshall County / Williamson County (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Cove (approx. 3Ĺ miles away); Bethesda (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Grove.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 16, 2021, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.