The Covered Bridges of Lancaster County, PA
Crossing the Conestoga since 1868
The first covered bridge at this location was built by Elias McMellan, a well-known local bridge builder. Specifications drawn up in October 1867 state that the bridge is "to be built in one span, on Burr's plan and of single arch" and that the truss is "to be built of good white Pine timber."
Additionally, the bridge is "to be weather-boarded with culling Boards fastened on perpendicular…roofed with No 1 Pine shingles and floored with three inch Oak plank." In June 1868, inspectors appointed to review the completed bridge found that it was "put up in a good and workmanlike Manner, and agreeably to the Contract entered into."
Like many Lancaster County covered bridges, Pinetown Bridge once stood adjacent to a mill. Although the mill was destroyed by fire in 1901, a nearby stone-arch bridge remains. Historically, the road on the west side of the Conestoga River crossed the stone-arch bridge before turning toward the covered bridge. The stone-arch bridge was later bypassed when Bridge Road was moved to its present alignment in the early 20th century.
Other Names: Nolt's Point Mill, Bushong's Mill, Shand's Big Conestoga #15, now #6
Crosses: Conestoga River
Length: 135 ft., 4 in. (41.25 m); 119 ft., 2.25 in. (36.33 m), clear span
Width: Total 15 ft., 11 in. (4.85 m); deck 12 ft., 11 in. (3.94 m)
Builder: Elias McMellen
Structure: Burr arch truss
History: Built 1867, washed downstream during Tropical Storm Agnes 1972, rebuilt by Amish, damaged during Tropical Storm Lee 2011, and reopened summer 2013
Erected by Lancaster County Board of Commissioners.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges 🌉 series list.
Location. 40° 6.345′ N, 76° 14.914′ W. Marker is in Manheim Township, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Bridge Road just east of Pinetown Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 198 Pinetown Rd, Leola PA 17540, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry Hess Landis Farm (approx. 1.9 miles away); Zook's Mill Bridge (approx. 1.9 miles away); Isaac Long Barn (approx. 2 miles away); Landis Graveyard (approx. 2.7 miles away); Cpl Gerald L. Habecker (approx. 3.2 miles away); Keller's Mill Bridge (approx. 4.1 miles away); Revolutionary War Memorial 1930 (approx. 4.2 miles away); In Memory of 110 Soldiers of the Continental Army (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manheim Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2021, by William Pope of Marietta, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2021, by William Pope of Marietta, Pennsylvania. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.