Rice in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Settlers began arriving at this site in the late 1860s, mostly from the nearby settlement of Porter's Bluff, which had been devastated by a flood in 1866. By 1872, the Houston and Texas Central Railroad, which bypassed Porter's Bluff, was routed through this site. One of the railroad's principal investors, Houston businessman William Marsh Rice (1816-1900), donated five hundred acres of land for a station and a townsite, which was named in his honor. The Rice Post Office was established in 1872.
Cotton was the main crop of the area, and accounted for much of the community's business interests. One of the first businesses in Rice was a cotton gin, and the Rice Railroad Station was a major cotton shipping point. A train carrying Spanish-American War recruits came through the station in 1898, and the Liberty Bell passed through on a World War I Liberty Bond campaign.
Early settlers of Rice included Isaac Sessions, who arrived in 1846; Texas Revolutionary War veteran Joseph Calloway Bartlett, who was Rice's first postmaster; and many Civil War veterans. The community's first school opened in 1875. Citizens voted to incorporate
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11627.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 14.622′ N, 96° 29.876′ W. Marker is in Rice, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is at the intersection of Calhoun Street and Sherman Street, on the left when traveling west on Calhoun Street. The marker is located at a city building and it is turned facing Sherman street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 Calhoun Street, Rice TX 75155, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Rice (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Haynes Memorial Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); The Fortson Family (approx. ¼ mile away); Rice Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Alma (approx. 4.1 miles away); Navarro County (approx. 8.4 miles away); Burnam Square and Cemetery (approx. 9.4 miles away); Ennis City Hall (approx. 9½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rice.
Also see . . . Rice Texas. Rice had a population of 268 in 1900, but in May 1901 a fire (Submitted on January 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.