Chappell Hill in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Organized prior to 1847. First pastor, Robert Alexander, had been a missionary in Texas since 1837. Original church built in 1853; was destroyed in great storm of 1900; rebuilt in 1901, constructed of pine. Memorial inscription placed in window in honor of Dr. Alexander, a member of the Texas Conference for 45 years. Texas Methodist Conference sessions were held in Chappell Hill six times: 1847, 1854, 1860, 1865, 1870 and 1878.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8320.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 8.486′ N, 96° 15.163′ W. Marker is in Chappell Hill, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and Poplar Street, on the left when traveling south on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5195 Church Street, Chappell Hill TX 77426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Chappell Hill College (within shouting distance of this marker); Chappell Hill Female College BellProvidence Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Rock Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Farmers State Bank and Reinstein Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Chappell Hill (approx. half a mile away); Site of Soule University for Boys (approx. half a mile away); Lockhart Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chappell Hill.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.