Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Evangelical Lutheran Colleges of Texas
The first Evangelical Lutheran Synod in Texas was organized in 1851 by eight pastors who would gather fellow-immigrants from Europe in congregations.
Synod bought an existing campus at Rutersville in 1872 and operated her German-American College there until 1881 with Pastor H. Merz as President. In 1891 the Synod acquired a school plant on this site and established her Evangelical Lutheran College here. The courses were preparatory, commercial, teacher training, and classical. A dormitory for boys stood at Pecan and Clinton. Successive administrators were Pastors G. Langner, O. Hartmann, J.H. Romberg, E. Gerfen, F. Zimmermann. Synod closed the college in 1906, then founded an Evangelical Lutheran Pro-Seminar on this campus to specialize in training students for entrance to a theological seminary. Launched Sept. 18, 1906, it prospered for six years under leadership of Pastor C. Weeber. Synod's fourth venture in field of higher education blossomed on Sept. 10, 1912, at Seguin, with the dedication of a new institution known later as Texas Lutheran College. Pastor C. Weeber, first President, served until 1929, raising its status
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8331.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is September 18, 1906.
Location. 30° 9.711′ N, 96° 23.661′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Pecan Street and South Market Street, on the right when traveling east on Pecan Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Rees Sanitarium (approx. ¼ mile away); Southern Pacific Freight Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Schmid Bros. Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas Confederate County Commissioners Court (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Brenham Maifest (approx. 0.4 miles away); Former Bank Building of Giddings & Giddings (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bassett and Bassett Banking House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Also see . . . Texas Lutheran University. In Seguin, traces its origin to 1891, when the First Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Texas founded the Evangelical Lutheran College (Submitted on January 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.