Concrete & Cut Stone Foundation
Throughout the park there are foundations of concrete and one of cut stone that have been used for railroad signals of I various types. Unfortunately, over the years during different projects, many of them were destroyed, moved or buried. The best preserved are at the east end of the old trestle near the Woodson House site. They are located on the old railway bed leading to where the old trestle crossed Hungards Creek. There was a railway crossing as well in this area that served the high water road (the main road went under the trestle) then in use during flooding of the river and or creek. The old road is south and east of the old railroad bed and is currently part of the park's trail system. During the construction of the parking area, several foundations where exposed. The best preserved one now rests beside the Woodson House sign.
On the west side of the trestle, a few of them are preserved in their proper place and some have been moved or pushed over the embankment. The last site and the most disturbing is here at the tunnel where one concrete (that is not in its proper place) and the only cut stone foundation
The first of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railways signals were the manually operated lower quadrant semaphores installed at telegraph cabins or train depots until late in the 1800s and early 1900s when the automatic 3-position, upper-quadrant semaphore signal became the industry's standard. After the advent of the incandescent light bulb in 1914, Color Light Signals came into use and are now the primary signals of the then C&O Railway and now CSX Transportation. In 1928, the first 3-position light signal bridge was installed between Talcott and Hilldale-one on each end of the tunnel. This signal bridge would have been attached to the cut stone foundation in the foreground. It is probable that this cut stone foundation were used for the single mast upper quadrant semaphore, single mast color light signal, and the three position light cantilever bridge.
It should be noted that not all of the concrete foundations throughout the park were used to support signals. Other foundations were used for the trestle
Erected by John Kesler.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 37° 38.977′ N, 80° 46.021′ W. Marker is in Talcott, West Virginia, in Summers County. Marker is on West Virginia Route 3/12 0.2 miles north of Huston, on the right when traveling east. On the grounds of the John Henry Historical Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Talcott WV 24981, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Legend Of John Henry (here, next to this marker); John Henry (a few steps from this marker); John Henry In Fiction (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Bend Tunnel Construction (within shouting distance of this marker); Tunnel Construction Technology Improves (within shouting distance of this marker); Why The Tunnel Was Built (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Big Bend Tunnel (about 300 feet away); Here Stood a Statue of John Henry (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Talcott.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 20, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 20, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.