Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Girard in Branch County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
1. Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  Methodists held the first religious services in Girard Township. Organized in 1832 by the Reverend Ezekiel Gavit, a circuit rider, the congregation met in homes and a school until a church was built in 1844. When that structure burned in 1887 it was replaced with the present one, constructed by J.R. Simmons of Union City, who used native hard maple and stones gathered from nearby fields. The building was dedicated on August 31, 1888.
 
Erected 1998 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2015.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 42° 1.68′ N, 85° 0.063′ W. Marker is in Girard, Michigan, in Branch County. Marker is on Marshall Road (Old U.S. 27) 0.1 miles south of East Girard Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 990 Marshall Rd, Coldwater MI 49036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
2. Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
View to south along Marshall Road
. State Public School at Coldwater / Coldwater Regional Center (approx. 4.6 miles away); Allen Tibbets (approx. 5.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); 44th Ill. Infantry (approx. 5.9 miles away); To Commemorate the Memory of the Pioneers and First Surveyors (approx. 6 miles away); Frank D. Newberry (approx. 6 miles away); Branch County Korean and Vietnam Wars Memorial (approx. 6 miles away); Branch County World War II Memorial (approx. 6 miles away).
 
Methodist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
3. Methodist Episcopal Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 449 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on January 21, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 26, 2021