Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of the First Clay County Courthouse and Jail

 
 
Site of the First Clay County Courthouse and Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James L.Whitman, January 20, 2021
1. Site of the First Clay County Courthouse and Jail Marker
Inscription.  When Clay County was created February 16, 1854, Fort Gaines became the county seat. The county's first courthouse, a single-room, wooden structure, was built on this lot later that year. The county's first jail was located to the north on an adjoining lot. After construction of a larger courthouse in 1873, the original courthouse served as a school, and in 1897 underwent remodeling to be included as the kitchen of the R.C. and Susie McAllister home. It remains a portion of this private home.
 
Erected 2014 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the McAllister Family, and the Ft Gaines-Clay County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is February 16, 1854.
 
Location. 31° 36.44′ N, 85° 3.08′ W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Street and Troupe Street, on the right when traveling west on Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Pioneer Cemetery (about 700 feet away, measured in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a direct line); Historic Sites (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Gaines Guards (approx. 0.2 miles away); In the Confederacy (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Lattice Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 1836 Fort (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Gaines (approx. ¼ mile away); Clay County (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gaines.
 
Site of the First Clay County Courthouse and Jail Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James L.Whitman, January 20, 2021
2. Site of the First Clay County Courthouse and Jail Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2021, by James L.Whitman of Eufaula, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=165233

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024