Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Blinn College

 
 
Blinn College Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 16, 2021
1. Blinn College Marker
Inscription.  

Founded as "Mission Institute", March 28, 1883. Methodist affiliated. 1887 gift of Rev. Christian Blinn of New York built main hall. Name was changed 1889 to Blinn Memorial. This main building erected 1906. Became Junior College, 1927.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
 
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8303.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
 
Location. 30° 9.574′ N, 96° 24.329′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of College Avenue and High Street, on the right when traveling west on College Avenue. The marker is located at the front door of the Old Main building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 College Avenue, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brenham Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mt. Zion United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prairie Lea Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Moses Baine
Blinn College Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 16, 2021
2. Blinn College Marker
The marker and medallion have been separated at the doorway.
(approx. 0.3 miles away); George Washington Petty (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hogan Funeral Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mills Roberson “Burney” Parker (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
 
Also see . . .  Blinn College. Originally Mission Institute, was founded in Brenham in 1883 by the Southern German Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church to train ministers for the mission conference. President Carl Urbantke and the original class of three students met in the German Methodist Church. After four years of operation the struggling school received a boost when Christian Blinn of New York pledged financial support, including funds for a two-story building. In gratitude, the Methodist annual conference for 1889 changed the name of the institution to Blinn Memorial College. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
Blinn College Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 16, 2021
3. Blinn College Marker
Blinn College image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 16, 2021
4. Blinn College
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021