Wesley in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Wesley School
Czech immigrants came to this area in 1859 and renamed it Wesley community. Professor Josef Masik tutored children in his home. The Bohemian Slovakian Reading Club of Wesley provided the first area school building about 1863. School was taught in the Wesley Brethren Church, a larger facility, beginning in 1866. As the area grew, another structure was required in 1873 and again in 1898. The school relocated to a former store on this site in 1911. It became an eight-grade school in 1927. A new building was erected in 1931 as the population continued to grow, and the school served ten grades in 1949. Enrollment fell as people left rural areas for the city, and in 1953 the school again served eight grades. It was closed and merged with Brenham schools in 1961. The last Wesley School building on this site burned in 1962.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12287.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 30° 4.269′ N, 96° 30.172′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wesley School (approx. half a mile away); Wesley Brethren Church (approx. half a mile away); Welcome Lutheran Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); John Reichle General Merchandise (approx. 3.1 miles away); Bethlehem Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Greenvine Schools (approx. 4.4 miles away); Greenvine Baptist Church (approx. 4˝ miles away); Greenvine Gas Discovery (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wesley.
Also see . . . Wesley Texas. Wesley is at the intersection of Farm roads 2502 and 332, eight miles southwest of Brenham in southwestern Washington County. In 1859 Josef Mašik founded the first Czech school in Texas in the Czech settlement of Veseli near the Austin County border. Veseli, meaning joyous, was later anglicized to Wesley. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 134 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.