Tecumseh Historical Mural
1. Sutton Opera House (1879-1968) (Northwest Block)
2. Beardsley House (1832) (Corner of Chicago Blvd. & North Union Street)
3. Carnegie Library (1905) (Corner of Maiden Lane & Chicago Blvd.)
4. The Old Stone Church (1913) (Corner of Oneida Street & Chicago Blvd.)
5. Meyer OTW (Out to Win) Biplane built in the 1940's by Allen H. Meyer at Meyer Airport
6. Hewlett Family Barn (Corner of Macon Road & Hewlett Road. Built 1888 by A. Hall)
7. Mark indicating the location of the first home in Tecumseh built by Musgrove Evans in 1824 on North Evans Street by the river. (Marker dedicated in 1909)
8. The original mill located on Chicago Road at the east entrance to Tecumseh burned in 1898. The William Hayden Milling Company rebuilt the one above in 1899.
9. H. Brewer & Company Clay Working Machines (1910) This building was purchased in 1934 by Tecumseh Products Company and is located at the corner of Patterson Street & South Ottawa Street.
10. Hayden Ford Mill was built in 1935 after Henry Ford purchased the former William Hayden Milling Co. in 1933 (drawing #8). He demolished that mill and built
11. Chief Tecumseh Shawnee Leader
12. Judge Consider Alphonzo Stacy
13 Laura Smith Haviland was an American abolitionist, and key person in the Underground Railroad in Lenawee County.
14 Mrs. (Ray) Hazel Herrick
15. Ray W. Herrick - Co-founder of the Tecumseh Products Company
16. Tecumseh Products Company Refrigeration Compressor
17. C. F. (Bill) Sage - Co-founder of the Tecumseh Products Company
18. Mrs. (Bill) Effa L. Sage
19. Clara Waldron, local historian, was the author of One Hundred Years a Country Town.
20. James C. Lincoln Sr. - Became co-publisher/editor of The Tecumseh Herald in 1957 and served as Publisher until 2009 (52 yrs.).
21. James J. Robideau - One of four founders of the Tecumseh Corrugated Box Company, which was started in 1963.
Tecumseh Historical Mural Project was painted by 2016 Tecumseh High School Art Class
students under the direction of art teachers - Christine Obeid and Ron Frenzen.
Historical reference photos and information were supplied by the Tecumseh District Library
Clara Waldron Room archives and local historian Ashley E. Chase. This project was funded
by the Tecumseh Downtown Development Authority and the Sage Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these
Location. 42° 0.217′ N, 83° 56.783′ W. Marker is in Tecumseh, Michigan, in Lenawee County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Pearl Street and W. Chicago Boulevard (State Highway 50), on the right when traveling north on S. Pearl Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tecumseh MI 49286, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bertha Lapointe - Carriage Stone (approx. ¼ mile away); Ray Wesley Herrick (approx. ¼ mile away); Evans House (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Area In Lenawee County With A Civil War Monument (approx. half a mile away); Civil War Soldiers' Monument (approx. half a mile away); Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); War On Global Terrorism Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tecumseh World War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tecumseh.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 26, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.