Commerce in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Commerce
In November 1888 seventeen charter members joined with the Rev. J. C. Grow (1841-1903) to organize the First Presbyterian Church of Commerce. The congregation met in the town's Union Church until their own wooden frame sanctuary was completed in 1893. The Rev. Elijah B. Fincher became the church's first full-time resident pastor in 1897. A new brick sanctuary was completed on the corner of Monroe and Caddo streets in 1913, and additional structures have been built over the years. This church has been part of the city's history for over a century.
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7791.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1888.
Location. 33° 15′ N, 95° 54.16′ W. Marker is in Commerce, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is at the intersection of Monroe Street and Caddo Street, on the right when traveling north on Monroe Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Commerce TX 75428, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Commerce Churches (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of Maj. Gen. Claire L. ChennaultFirst Baptist Church of Commerce (about 700 feet away); Incorporation of Commerce (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historical Stop - Downtown Commerce (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Commerce (approx. ¼ mile away); Jernigin's Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Bruce B. Williams American Legion Post No. 1 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Commerce.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 26, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 26, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.