Weslaco in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Weslaco Water Tower
This ground level water storage reservoir was constructed in 1928, nine years after Weslaco was founded. Built through the efforts of Mayor David E. Kirgan and City Water Commissioner William Detlef, it was a symbol of Kirgan's municipal reforms. The facility was used until 1938 when work was begun on the adjacent overhead tank. A project of the Works Progress Administration, it was completed in 1941 during the mayoralty of John L. Compere, Jr. The site now serves as a reminder of Weslaco's early development as a progressive city.
Adapted as a theater in 1969 by City Manager Cecil E. Massey.
Home of Mid Valley Civic Theatre, founded in Weslaco in 1969. The first performance was held on April 2, 1970
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5756.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 26° 9.702′ N, 97° 59.393′ W. Marker is in Weslaco, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of South Kansas Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 South Kansas Avenue, Weslaco TX 78596, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cortez Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Weslaco (approx. 0.3 miles away); Weslaco City Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texsun Corporation (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Weslaco (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weslaco.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.