Weslaco in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Church
In 1921, Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Church was established as a mission parish of Our Lady of Mercy Church in Mercedes, which had previously ministered to area Catholics. The church became a full parish in 1929. From 1940 to 1968, the church operated a parochial school which educated a multitude of students, many of whom became noted professionals. The church has formed a number of other organizations, through which the congregation has ministered to the needy. In addition, the church organized the St. Pius X and San Martin de Porres Churches. Today, the church continues to be a leading Catholic institution in South Texas.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14400.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 26° 9.694′ N, 97° 59.312′ W. Marker is in Weslaco, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of South Illinois Avenue and East 2nd Street, on the leftTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 South Illinois Avenue, Weslaco TX 78596, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Weslaco Water Tower (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cortez Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Weslaco (approx. 0.3 miles away); Weslaco City Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texsun Corporation (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Weslaco (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weslaco.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.