Weslaco in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Weslaco
Visiting Evangelists from the Southern Baptist Home Mission Board encouraged area Baptists to organize a church in 1921, just two years after Weslaco was established. The congregation first met in the Stephen F. Austin School before moving into its own building. Many early members of First Baptist Church were community leaders who were vital in Weslaco’s development. The congregation has focused on missions, including overseas medical work and the organization of four Spanish-speaking churches in Weslaco since 1946. Between 1938 and 1968, members were also involved in a well-baby clinic. Today, the church continues to serve as a spiritual leader in the Weslaco community.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15049.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 26° 9.315′ N, 97° 59.392′ W. Marker is in Weslaco, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of East Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 South Kansas Avenue, Weslaco TX 78596, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Texsun Corporation (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Weslaco City Hall (about 600 feet away); Weslaco (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cortez Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Weslaco City Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weslaco.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.