Weslaco in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church
In Feb. 1921, with help from Rev. O. C. Crow, Methodists in and around Weslaco began organizing into a separate congregation. On Oct. 16, 1921, 35 Methodists met to organize their new church and in November completed a wooden church building. In 1925, a new red brick church built, and in 1955, work began across the street to replace this church with the present day sanctuary. The church was instrumental in creating Knapp Memorial Methodist Hospital and Wesley Manor, today John Knox Village, a retirement home. Their outreach work, including an active Sunday School Women's group, music programs, and financial aid to La Santisima Trinidad and La Mesa churches, has helped build a stronger community.
175 years of Texas Independence 1836-2011
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16783.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 26° 9.343′ N, 97° 59.308′ W. Marker is in WeslacoTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 520 South Illinois Avenue, Weslaco TX 78596, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Weslaco (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Weslaco City Hall (about 600 feet away); Weslaco (about 600 feet away); Texsun Corporation (about 700 feet away); Cortez Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Weslaco City Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weslaco.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.