Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Mercedes in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Mercedes City Hall

 
 
Mercedes City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 24, 2021
1. Mercedes City Hall Marker
Inscription.  

Constructed in 1928 to house the town's municipal offices and fire station, this building was designed by architect R. Newell Waters of Weslaco. The two story Gothic style building, constructed of red brick, features a copper cupola designed to house the fire alarm, cast stone detailing, and a gabled roof. The second floor served as a town meeting room and firemen's dormitory. This building served as the Mercedes City Hall for nearly fifty years.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995
 
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3342.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
 
Location. 26° 8.884′ N, 97° 54.737′ W. Marker is in Mercedes, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of South Ohio Street and West 4th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Ohio Street. The marker is located on the left side of the door of the old City Hall building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mercedes TX 78570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
The front entrance to the Mercedes City Hall and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 24, 2021
2. The front entrance to the Mercedes City Hall and Marker
. Dr. Héctor P. García (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hidalgo County Bank and Trust Company (about 500 feet away); The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation System (about 800 feet away); Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camp Mercedes (approx. half a mile away); Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away); Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mercedes.
 
Also see . . .  Mercedes Texas.
Mercedes is in the Rio Grande valley on U.S. Highway 83 twenty-five miles east of McAllen in southeastern Hidalgo County. The site was first settled by ranchers in the late 1770s and was part of the Llano Grande Spanish land grant issued on May 29, 1790, to Juan José Ynojosa de Ballí.  Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on January 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The side of the Mercedes City Hall building showing the Firehouse image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 24, 2021
3. The side of the Mercedes City Hall building showing the Firehouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 1, 2021