Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mercedes in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Temple Beth Israel

 
 
Temple Beth Israel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 24, 2021
1. Temple Beth Israel Marker
Inscription.  

During the 1910s, several Hidalgo and Cameron County families founded a small Jewish congregation. The temple lacked a permanent Rabbi; lay readers led most services, while a student Rabbi was hired to lead High Holy Day Services. The group first worshipped in rented space, but in 1935, Temple Beth Israel (House of Israel) was designed by Weslaco architect Newell Waters and was erected at 402 W. Tenth Street. Members of the congregation represented surrounding business communities as clothing and furniture merchants, newspaper publishers and jewelers. By the late 1940s, the growth of McAllen and Harlingen reduced the congregation’s size, and in 1948, the membership voted to dissolve, with members joining congregations in the two neighboring cities.
 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16329.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1935.
 
Location. 26° 8.507′ N, 97° 54.816′ W. Marker is in Mercedes, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
intersection of West 10th Street and South Texas Avenue, on the left when traveling west on West 10th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 West 10th Street, Mercedes TX 78570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Mercedes (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dr. Héctor P. García (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mercedes City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Hidalgo County Bank and Trust Company (approx. half a mile away); Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); The American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation System (approx. 0.6 miles away); Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ebony Grove Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mercedes.
 
Temple Beth Israel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 24, 2021
2. Temple Beth Israel Marker
The orginal building of the Temple Beth Israel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, January 24, 2021
3. The orginal building of the Temple Beth Israel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 29, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=165818

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024