A well was dug in 1827 and research indicated that a pump was installed to draw water.
The pump house was added over the well in 1851. This building provided some shelter from inclement weather and a convenient location next to the Keeper’s House. There was one small window located on the North elevation to provide light.
A coal shed was built at the same time as the pump house. The shed was attached to the West wall of the building and was of equal length. From the few images that exist, it appears that the coal shed was a rudimentary structure used only for storing fuel in the winter.
100 lb of nails
2 pair of hinges and screws
1 lb of wrought nails
1 latch, catch, and staples
80 feet of 4"x4"Norway pine
528 feet of lumber
48 feet of rafters
white pine culls
75 feet for pickets
1000 cypress shingles
31 plain posts
1 barrel lime
1 whitewash brush
1 paint brush
[The list mentioned in this paragraph as
Any changes to the property had to be submitted to the United States Lighthouse Establishment for approval. Orders were also placed for the materials necessary to make these changes. Lighthouse Accounts from September 30, 1851 shows an order placed for items on the list to the left. These supplies were likely used to build the pump house and coal shed.
New additions to the original outbuildings as well as a version of the fence ground the property are visible in this image from 1909.
Maryland Heritage Areas Authority
Erected by Friends of Concord Point Lighthouse, Havre de Grace, MD.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 32.45′ N, 76° 5.138′ W. Marker was in Havre de Grace, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker was on Concord Street. The marker is located on the grounds of the Concord Light Keeper's House and Property. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 700 Concord Street, Havre de Grace MD 21078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Keepers (here, next to this marker); Concord Point Lighthouse Grounds (a
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 31, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 167 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on January 30, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.