Pharr in Hidalgo County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Pharr City Hall
This structure was completed in 1911 by the Pharr Townsite Co., operated by John C. Kelly (1862-1937), a co-founder of Pharr. It housed the first bank, the post office, a confectionary, a drugstore, and the first irrigation and canal company. The building became the first City Hall in 1916, when Pharr was incorporated. Due to a shortage of policemen during the Depression, an electric light was placed on top of the building to alert officers to trouble. When the city government moved in 1951, the Old Pharr City Hall housed businesses and offices and was used for civic meetings.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3779.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 26° 11.647′ N, 98° 11.036′ W. Marker is in Pharr, Texas, in Hidalgo County. Marker is at the intersection of South Cage Boulevard and Business U.S. 83, on the left when traveling south on South Cage Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 South Cage Boulevard, Pharr TX 78577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Historic Pharr (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Pharr (within shouting distance of this marker); Pharr Volunteer Fire Department (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kiwanis Club of Pharr (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Pharr School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buell School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Guadalupe Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Paris Gum Factory (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pharr.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 30, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.