Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ice, Brewing and Bottles
In the mid-19th century, freight began to be moved more by canal and rail, rather than along navigable rivers. Rafting of lumber on the Delaware waned as the forests upstream were denuded of wood, Riverfront structures were abandoned and demolished and beginning in the 1850s local potteries and metal-working companies came down to the riverbank to dump their industrial waste. This latter activity resulted in the shoreline shifting out into the river creating a strip of fresh-filled land on which buildings could
In 1890, with refrigeration revolutionizing the foodstuffs industry nationwide, the newly incorporated Trenton Hygeian Ice Company set up an ice-making factory at the corner of Lamberton and Lalor Streets. On the nearby riverbank a large stone pier was built to receive shipments of coal. In the following year the Trenton Brewing Company incorporated and a brewery was added to the facilities. The prime mover in both businesses was the Kuser family. In the early 1890s ice was the main product and advertisements described “Hygeian Ice” as being “made from Artesian Well Water, Boiled and Distilled …. Contains no sewerage matter” and “The Purest and Best Sold in the City.” But within a few years the brewery was in the ascendant, producing award-winning beers such as “Gold Seal” and “Trenton Old Stock” and serving as the sole supplier of quality beer to the Waldorf Hotel in New York City.
Throughout the 1890s the plant expanded to accommodate the growing emphasis on brewing and bottling, culminating in the consolidation in 1899 of the Kuser brewing and bottling interests and several other local companies into the newly-formed Peoples Brewing Company. In 1900 this conglomerate, with a capital investment of $3,000,000. was producing 350,000 barrels of beer annually and 150 tons of ice daily.
The Delaware Inn
Across Lamberton Street, between Cliff and Lalor Streets, stands the Delaware Inn, a late 18th-century, three-story brick building that is one of the few remaining threads in the urban landscape that still connects us to the historic port of Lamberton. As early as 1773, John Clunn, a ship’s captain, held a tavern license for what later became the Delaware Inn property. Clunn operated a tavern here until his death in 1798,
Known later as the Red Tavern, this facility was one of Lamberton’s main attractions for raftsmen, stevedores, fishermen and local residents well into the 19th century. It was also used for civic functions and as a place where travelers could stay overnight. By 1840 the tavern had been converted into a residence and soon after came into the hands of the Lenoxes, a family that dominated much of Lamberton’s mid-19th-century port activity.
By 1890, the old port of Lamberton had largely vanished and the character of the river frontage was changing. The Lenox residence had by now reverted to its original commercial usage and become known as “The Delaware Inn.” The hotel was unable to sustain a steady business through the Depression and World War II. In 1942 the premises were acquired by the Champale Brewing Company and converted into offices, continuing in this capacity until the 1980s.
Erected 2004 by New Jersey Department
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 40° 11.879′ N, 74° 45.49′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from New Jersey Route 29. This marker is in South River Walk park which is built over top of Route 29. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pre-17th Century Trenton Timeline (a few steps from this marker); Europeans at the Falls of the Delaware (a few steps from this marker); Quakers Lead the Settlement of West Jersey (a few steps from this marker); The West Jersey Proprietors Rule (a few steps from this marker); William Trent of Trent’s Town (a few steps from this marker); Native American Artifacts – Clubs to Prehistory (a few steps from this marker); Native Americans Exchange Furs for European Goods (a few steps from this marker); What happened to the Lenape? (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
More about this marker. The marker is in the northern half of the park closest to the main entrance at Lalor Street. It is on the right as you approach the Trenton Timeline and Arches.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,754 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on February 2, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 26, 2007, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.