Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Newton in Harvey County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

The Harvey County Courthouse

 
 
The Harvey County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 3, 2014
1. The Harvey County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The first Harvey County Courthouse on this site was a three story red brick structure in the modified Romanesque Revival style dominated by a tall clock tower. Bedford stone highlighted the exterior with marble lining the interior hallways. J.C. Holland and Squires, Topeka, were the architects and Crosby and Son of Kansas City, Mo. contractors. Groundbreaking was June 20, 1906, and in Sept. 11, an elaborate ceremony was held for the laying of the cornerstone. The cost was $47,701 and the magnificent building was "a testimonial to Little Harvey's progressiveness and spirit." Each office had a fireplace, natural gas, electricity, and telephone. P.J. Galle presided over the first court session on Nov. 6, 1907. In 1966 the building was razed. Its marble and stone can be seen on two local trail markers. This sign is in memory of the pioneer family of Ezra and harles Branine, early attorneys, attorney C. Fred Ice and Mildred Branine Ice.
 
Erected 1994 by Theodore B. and Sue H. Ice and the Harvey County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
 
Location.
The Harvey County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, April 3, 2014
2. The Harvey County Courthouse
38° 3.12′ N, 97° 20.697′ W. Marker is in Newton, Kansas, in Harvey County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (State Highway 15) and East 8th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 North Main Street, Newton KS 67114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Ragsdale Opera House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Masonic Lodge (about 800 feet away); Anderson Book and Office Supply (approx. 0.2 miles away); Coastal Defense Cannon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Unknown Dead of the Civil War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Santa Fe Steam Locomotive #1880 (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Jacob Krehbiel Memorial Park (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
 
Also see . . .  Harvey County Courthouse History. (Submitted on February 4, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
The Harvey County Courthouse Postcard View image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, ca. 1940s
3. The Harvey County Courthouse Postcard View
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 4, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021