Falfurrias in Brooks County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brooks County’s Catholic Heritage
Local geographic names show that the Catholic faith arrived here before 1800. This area was in the Diocese of Monterrey until the Diocese of Texas was formed in 1847. In the new Diocese it was in the Brownsville Parish until transferred to San Diego in 1866. Fathers Claude Jaillet (1843-1929) and Peter Bard (1846-1920) of San Diego traveled this area for about 40 years, ministering on the scattered ranches.
In 1904-05 the Mission of San Ysidro (Saint Isidore) was built in Falfurrias. The Rt. Rev. Paul Joseph Nussbaum, first Bishop of Corpus Christi Diocese, erected the Parish of Saint Isidore in 1914. The Chapel of Saints Peter and Paul was built nearby in 1916 for English-speaking communicants. In 1925 the mission was merged with Saint Isidore to form Sacred Heart Church, which is now on Garza Street and renamed Our Lady of Guadalupe. In Brooks County there are also the Church of Saint Anne at Encino and other Catholic facilities and organizations. The school of the Ursuline Sisters prospered for 38 years before closing its doors in 1965. Some mainstays of the church have been Lino Trevino (1857-1935), Charles Premont (1867-1941),
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 524.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
Location. 27° 13.449′ N, 98° 8.77′ W. Marker is in Falfurrias, Texas, in Brooks County. Marker is at the intersection of West Blucher Street and South Caldwell Street, on the right when traveling west on West Blucher Street. The marker is located to the west of the front entrance to the Sacred Heart Catholic Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 West Blucher Street, Falfurrias TX 78355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brooks County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Our Sons, Our Brothers, Our Friends Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brooks County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fallen Heroes Memorial Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Falfurrias (approx. ¼ mile away); Don Pedro Jaramillo (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of Los Olmos (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falfurrias.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.