Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

McFaddin in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

McFaddin Mercantile

 
 
McFaddin Mercantile Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 31, 2021
1. McFaddin Mercantile Marker
Inscription.  

The St. Louis, Brownsville,and Mexico Railroad built a line thorugh the McFaddin Ranch about 1900. The ranch settlement, temporarily renamed Marianna by the railroad, soon boasted a depot, post office, church, school, and several businesses, including this mercantile built in 1910. It was a community gathering place and briefly housed the post office. The board-and-batten structure is a fine example of small community mercantile stores.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990

Designated Family Land Heritage Property
100 years of agriculture by the same family
J.A. McFadden Ranch
Texas Department of Agriculture
 
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3290.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars.
 
Location. 28° 33.201′ N, 97° 0.802′ W. Marker is in McFaddin, Texas, in Victoria County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 445 and McCann Street, on
McFaddin Mercantile Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 31, 2021
2. McFaddin Mercantile Marker
the right when traveling east on Highway 445. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McFaddin TX 77973, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McFaddin Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Infant Jesus of Prague Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Preston Rose Austin (approx. 10.2 miles away); Original Mission Refugio (approx. 12˝ miles away); Victoria County C.S.A. (approx. 14.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  McFaddin, TX.
McFaddin is near the San Antonio River two miles east of U.S. Highway 77 and eighteen miles southwest of Victoria in Victoria County. It was named for Capt. James A. McFaddin, a Civil War veteran and prominent Refugio County cattleman who began ranching at the fork of the Guadalupe and San Antonio rivers in Victoria County in 1876. Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on February 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
Front entrance to the McFaddin Mercantile image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 31, 2021
3. Front entrance to the McFaddin Mercantile
Side view of the McFaddin Mercantile image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, January 31, 2021
4. Side view of the McFaddin Mercantile
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 8, 2021