Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Haynie-Cook House

 
 
Site of Haynie-Cook House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David White, August 15, 2017
1. Site of Haynie-Cook House Marker
Inscription.  

In 1852, noted Austin architect Abner Cook (1814-1884) built a home here for Dr. Samuel Garner Haynie (1806-1877), who was elected Mayor of Austin four times (1850, 1851, 1863, and 1864). Cook, who was also working on the 1852-1854 Texas State Capitol around the same time, built the house with a Federal design, containing Greek Revival elements, The front façade featured a two-story portico with a pair of fluted Ionic columns flanked by outer Doric piers.

Because of financial difficulties, Haynie was forced to sell the house to Cook shortly after its completion. The Cook family moved into the home by 1860 and lived there until Cook’s widow, Eliza (Logan) sold the property to former Austin Mayor Leander Brown in 1885. Brown occupied the home until he subdivided and sold the block in 1889. The Haynie-Cook House was eventually rolled on logs to the southern half of the block, Fannie M. Andrews operated a shop out of it from 1910 to 1953. The northern half of the block was obtained by Joseph Nalle around 1903; his son, Ernest, built a home on the site and lived there until World War I. Nelson Philips, Associate Justice of the
Site of Haynie-Cook House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, August 15, 2017
2. Site of Haynie-Cook House Marker
Supreme Court of Texas, lived in the house from 1914 until 1920, when Nalle returned to the home, In 1933, Judge John H. Sharp, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Texas, bought the property. By 1953 both the Haynie-Cook Home and Nalle-Sharp House were demolished. The Lumbermen’s Association acquired this property for the Westgate, a residential-office high-rise designed in 1962. Today, the property remains a focal point of downtown Austin.
 
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16346.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
 
Location. 30° 16.431′ N, 97° 44.564′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Colorado Street south of West 12th Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker is in front of the Westgate Building, just west of the Capitol. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1122 Colorado Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church of Austin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Terry Rangers Monument (about 400 feet away); First Contact and the Spanish Colonial Era (about 400 feet away); Slavery During the Mexican National Era (about 400 feet away); The 21st Century
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 400 feet away); Slavery During the Republic and Early Statehood (about 400 feet away); Hendrick Arnold and Samuel McCulloch, Jr. (about 400 feet away); Civil War, Emancipation and Juneteenth (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Also see . . .  Haynie, Samuel G. (1806–1877). Handbook of Texas article including link to photo of the house. (Submitted on February 9, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 9, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021