Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fromberg in Carbon County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

A Monument to Carbon County: The Fromberg Bridge

 
 
A Monument to Carbon County: The Fromberg Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2020
1. A Monument to Carbon County: The Fromberg Bridge Marker
Inscription.  The old Fromberg Bridge was the crowning achievement of Carbon County's concrete bridge program in the early 20th century. Completed in 1915, the graceful arches across the Clark's Fork were the first such use of reinforced concrete in Montana. Proximity of the Gibson Concrete Works in Fromberg offered the county this rare opportunity to experiment. Founder John Gibson, a pioneer in concrete building techniques, supplied the cement for the massive structure. Gibson manufactured cement buildings and chimney blocks, ornamental cornices and columns, and a nationally recognized sectional concrete culvert he invented and patented.
The Beley Construction Company of Livingston won the $10,000 contract and construction began in May 1914. The bridge was a critical link that allowed farmers, ranchers, and their children on the east side of the Clark's Fork access to the railroad station and school at Fromberg. For a time during its construction, students had to ford the river to get to school.
The bridge opened to traffic in January 1915. The multi-span, solid arch structure was 219 feet long, the largest of its kind in Montana. Ornamental
A Monument to Carbon County: The Fromberg Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2020
2. A Monument to Carbon County: The Fromberg Bridge Marker
detailing embellished the sidewalls of the arches and the guardrails flanking the narrow deck. The Fromberg Herald boasted that every citizen would "fell a degree of pride in the knowledge that they helped bring to Fromberg the largest concrete bridge in the great Treasure State."
The Fromberg Concrete Arch Bridge, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, eventually succumbed to old age. The Department of Transportation replace it in the early 21st century.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society and Montana Department of Transportation 1768, 1767.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts.
 
Location. 45° 23.514′ N, 108° 54.381′ W. Marker is in Fromberg, Montana, in Carbon County. Marker is at the intersection of East River Street and Park Drive, on the left when traveling east on East River Street. The marker is across from Fromberg City Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fromberg MT 59029, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Northern Pacific Railroad Depot (here, next to this marker); Dr. Theodore J. Benson House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fromberg Methodist-Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away); Samuel and Jennie Greenblatt Residence
The Fromberg Concrete Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Haer, circa 1980
3. The Fromberg Concrete Bridge
(approx. 0.2 miles away); John Gibson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Pryor Mountains (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Pryor Mountains and Raptor Country (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Corey House (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fromberg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 14, 2021, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 14, 2021, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 3, 2021