Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Fromberg in Carbon County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Northern Pacific Railroad Depot

 
 
Northern Pacific Railroad Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2020
1. Northern Pacific Railroad Depot Marker
Inscription.  The Gebo Mine, founded in the Clarks Fork Valley in the late 1890s, brought the tracks of the Northern Pacific to this area. The railroad, however, bypassed the coal mine and the town of Gebo that flourished near it because of difficult accessibility. A spur line to the mine was constructed in 1898, and by early 1899, a small wood-frame depot stood ready north of where the Gebo spur left the main tracks. The railroad named the station “Fromberg” after Northern Pacific stockholder Conrad Fromberg, and it immediately provided local ranchers with a link to distant markets. William Swallow recognized that his land near the depot offered potential for a new townsite. The original six-block townsite of Fromberg was platted in “T-town” form, with the main street perpendicular to the tracks. The depot, constructed by the railroad from standardized plans for “fourth class combination stations,” originally included a ticket office and waiting room on one end, freight room on the other end, and central living quarters for the agent. Remodeling in 1909 expanded the waiting area into the central apartment, and clapboard
Northern Pacific Railroad Depot and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2020
2. Northern Pacific Railroad Depot and Marker
siding was applied over the board-and-batten walls. The depot served passengers and freight until 1970. Later moved seventy-five feet to its present location, the building today is the only remaining Northern Pacific depot along the historic Clarks Fork branch line and the last railroad building in Fromberg. In its new function as the Clarks Fork Valley Museum, this railroad veteran is an appropriate ambassador of the region’s rich history and a significant reflection of Fromberg’s roots.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsRailroads & Streetcars.
 
Location. 45° 23.514′ N, 108° 54.381′ W. Marker is in Fromberg, Montana, in Carbon County. Marker is on East River Street near Park Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East River Street, Fromberg MT 59029, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Monument to Carbon County: The Fromberg Bridge (here, next to this marker); Dr. Theodore J. Benson House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fromberg Methodist-Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away); Samuel and Jennie Greenblatt Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Gibson House
Fromberg Northern Pacific Railroad Depot image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2020
3. Fromberg Northern Pacific Railroad Depot
(approx. 0.2 miles away); The Pryor Mountains (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Pryor Mountains and Raptor Country (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Corey House (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fromberg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 14, 2021, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 14, 2021, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 6, 2021