c. 1929, Limestone
— Charles Klutch, American, 1871-1951, after Adolph A. Weinman, American, 1870-1952 —
The Museum's architect, John Russell Pope (1873-1937), intended the placement of these majestic lions to impart a sense of grandeur and permanence to the BMA building, completed in 1929. With globes captured beneath their weighty paws, the two beasts flank the Museum's broad terrace, symbolically guarding its entrance.
Baltimore artist Charles Klutch carved the sculptures from limestone similar to that used on the façade of the Museum. They were based on smaller plaster casts executed by Adolph A. Weinman. Weinman used as his prototype an ancient Roman sculpture that originally stood outside the Villa Medici in Rome, but is now located at the famed Loggia dei Lanzi in Florence. Symbols of nobility and fortitude, monumental lions adorn important civic and imperial sites throughout the world.
Erected by Baltimore Museum of Art.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music.
Location. 39° 19.51′ N, 76° 37.179′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spring House or Dairy - c. 1812 (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Beuys Tree Partnership (within shouting distance of this marker); Harriet Tubman Grove (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chapin A. Harris (about 400 feet away); Wyman Park Dell (about 500 feet away); William Henry Welch (about 600 feet away); Daniel Coit Gilman (about 700 feet away); The 1958 Johns Hopkins University Commencement (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johns Hopkins Homewood.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.