Bishop in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. John Lutheran Church
In May 1913, Rev. F.J. Lange helped thirteen local families organize the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church and served as its pastor until 1915. The congregation met at the West Ward School and at the R. R. Menn farm until 1917, when it built the church sanctuary, mainly with the labor of congregation members. To ensure the church’s self-sufficiency, membership in the congregation depended on prompt payment of annual assessments. Failure to pay meant being dropped from the membership roster.
From 1913 until 1939, most church services were conducted in German for the primarily German American congregation. Anti-German prejudice prompted three Ku Klux Klan members to burn the sanctuary in 1919. The congregation worshipped in Henry Bertram’s Cow Barn until the sanctuary was rebuilt later that year. All German language services were discontinued in 1939.
The church changed its name twice. In 1915, the name became St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church and, in 1963, the word “Evangelical” was dropped. In 1940, the congregation purchased the present church site for just under $300 and immediately built a parsonage and
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17905.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 27° 35.054′ N, 97° 47.829′ W. Marker is in Bishop, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North Cedar Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. The marker is located in front of the church by the road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 East Main Street, Bishop TX 78343, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Bishop (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bishop (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Church and School (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church of BishopRestland Memory Park (approx. 1.1 miles away); Englishmen in South Texas, 1568 (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Kingsville Railroad Depot (approx. 6.4 miles away); Uriah Lott (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bishop.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.