Yoakum in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Yoakum National Bank
The town of Yoakum incorporated on May 13, 1889, and with a growing population and business, a banking house was needed. W.O. Richardson recognized this need and with the assistance of other community leaders, organized a commercial bank in Yoakum.
On June 19, 1890, the First National Bank of Yoakum was established with the following board of directors: J.M. Bennett, J.P. Morris, A. May, B.P. Stephenson, W. Heuermann, Jr., W.S. Boothe, and W.O. Richardson.
The First National Bank of Yoakum opened its doors for business on July 10, 1890, in rented space. A permanent lot was purchased in August 1890 and the bank relocated to a two story building some time before May 1892.
The local bank prospered and grew, even withstanding the panic of 1893 that devastated most small banks. In early 1907, the shareholders changed the name to Yoakum National Bank.
Involvement in the community and area's interests were often considered, such as investment in the local cotton and tomato industry, and later the leather industry. In 1971, they moved to this location to better serve the community.
From its earliest years,
Erected 2017 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18860.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 29° 17.4′ N, 97° 9.13′ W. Marker is in Yoakum, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of West Grand Avenue (State Highway 111) and Irvine Street (Alternate U.S. 77), on the right when traveling west on West Grand Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 West Grand Avenue, Yoakum TX 77995, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Municipal Power Plant (approx. 0.3 miles away); Yoakum (approx. 0.7 miles away); Chisholm Trail Memorial Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Trail Drivers of Southwest Texas (approx. ¾ mile away); Asberry School (approx. ¾ mile away); First Methodist Church of Yoakum (approx. one mile away); St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); von Hugo - von Clausewitz Family Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yoakum.
Also see . . . Yoakum, TX.
TX.Yoakum is on the Lavaca-DeWitt county line. It was built on a league of land granted to John May by the government of Coahuila and Texas in 1835 and was used as a gathering ground for cattle to be driven up the Chisholm Trail. Yoakum did not grow until the construction of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway in 1887. At this time a townsite was laid out and named after Benjamin F. Yoakum, vice president and general manager of the line. J. P. Jamieson built a store in 1887, and a post office opened that year. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on February 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.