Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ringoes in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Amwell Academy

 
 
Amwell Academy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Alan Edelson, February 25, 2009
1. Amwell Academy Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1811 as a private school. In 1869 the Larison brothers, Dr. C.W. and Rev. A.B. opened their seminary at Ringoes. Building is one of the finest examples of Federal Architecture in N.J.
 
Erected by East Amwell Township Historic Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1811.
 
Location. 40° 26.169′ N, 74° 51.804′ W. Marker is in Ringoes, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is on Old York Road (New Jersey Route 179), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ringoes NJ 08551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of St. Andrew's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Academy af Arts & Science (approx. 0.3 miles away); Steam Era Signal & Switchstand (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ringoes (approx. half a mile away); Landis House (approx. half a mile away); Ringo's Tavern (approx. half a mile away);
Amwell Academy (Courtesy of the Historic American Building Survey, Library of Congress) image. Click for full size.
By Nathaniel R. Ewan, September 21, 1938
2. Amwell Academy (Courtesy of the Historic American Building Survey, Library of Congress)
The HABS data sheet for this structure indicates that title to the land was given from Titus Quick and his wife to the Amwell Academy trustees on May 1, 1811, and that much of the work on the building was contributed by local masons, carpenters and farmers. The building was used as a school until 1830, when it closed. The Larisons opened their seminary, open to both sexes, in 1869, and operated it until its closure in 1881.
Click or scan to see
this page online
East Amwell Veterans Honor Roll (approx. half a mile away); United First Presbyterian Church of Amwell (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ringoes.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 899 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 5, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey.   2. submitted on March 31, 2009. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=16732

Paid Advertisement
May. 13, 2021