Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Maurice Joseph Sullivan
(June 21, 1884 - December 15, 1961)
Maurice J. Sullivan, son of Maurice and Margaret (Fitzsimons) Sullivan, was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He attended Detroit College (1901-1903) and studied structural and civil engineering at the University of Michigan (1904-1906). While working at engineering firms from 1909-1912, Sullivan taught himself architecture. He married Anne Winston and they had four sons and three daughters.
After moving to Houston in 1912, Sullivan was appointed City Architect by Mayor H. Baldwin Rice and took on numerous projects, including Dora B. Lantrip Elementary School (1916). Known for being an eclectic architect who frequently worked in popular revival styles including Romanesque, Mediterranean, and Neo-Gothic, Sullivan opened his own practice in 1919, sharing an office with Birdsall P. Briscoe for 35 years. His ecclesiastical work is considered his most significant and includes the Villa de Matel Chapel (1923-28), Holy Rosary Church (1933), St. Anne Catholic Church (1940) and First Presbyterian Church (1949). Other prominent buildings include the Petroleum Building (now the Great Southwest Building), which introduced the stepped-back
In 1922, Sullivan designed his family home at the corner of Southmore Boulevard and Fannin Street in the picturesque manorial style, exemplifying the houses associated with 1920s and 1930s elite Texas residential neighborhoods. In 1924 and 1933, he served as President of the South Texas Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Sullivan is buried in Holy Cross Cemetery. In 1992 private citizens purchased the home for use as a commercial property.
175 years of Texas Independence 1836 2011
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16770.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Location. 29° 43.646′ N, 95° 23.16′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of San Jacinto Street and Southmore Boulevard, on the left when traveling north on San Jacinto Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1112 Southmore Boulevard, Houston TX 77004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clayton House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); W. L. and Susan Clayton (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Houston (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Paul's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holland Lodge No. 1 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Garden Club of Houston (approx. 0.3 miles away); Southend Water Pumping Station (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Sam Houston (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Regarding Maurice Joseph Sullivan. A correspondent notes:
Please note that this marker, arranged for by the current owner of the house, contains two errors: my grandfather Maurice Sullivan married Anne Winston King (not Anne Winston). Secondly, 1112 Southmore was built at the corner of Southmore and San Jacinto - where it is still located - not Southmore and Fannin. A supplemental marker correcting these errors is in process as of January 2021.
Also see . . . Sullivan, Maurice Joseph - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on November 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on February 22, 2021, by Margaret Lawler of Houston, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.