Pitman in Gloucester County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
History of Pitman Grove
The Association built an auditorium in the center of the Grove. A circular street surrounded the auditorium. Twelve streets spread out from the circle like spokes on a wheel. This wheel design allowed all avenues access to the central preaching area. The first Pitman Grove Camp Meeting was held in August 1871. Since there was no town at the time, the first attendees stayed in tents. There were 600 tents during the first meeting.
The Pitman Grove Camp Meeting grew each year, leading to more development. By 1890, the area had become well established and included nicely graveled walks, a large store, a post office, restaurants, a barbershop, a butcher shop an ice cream parlor, and almost 400 dwellings. The early homes were simple but soon cottages
In the early 1900's, many residents felt the community had grown large enough to be its own town and petitioned for it. On May 24, 1905, Governor Edward C. Stokes signed the bill authorizing the incorporation of Pitman Borough. The word "Grove" had been inextricably dropped.
Pitman Grove was entered into the New Jersey Register of Historic Places on July 20, 1976 and in the National Register of Historic Places on August 19, 1977.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 39° 43.896′ N, 75° 7.811′ W. Marker is in Pitman, New Jersey, in Gloucester County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Broadway and Pitman Avenue, on the right when traveling south on S. Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pitman NJ 08071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hollybush (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Mullica House (approx. 5 miles away); William Mullica House (approx. 5.1 miles away); The Chew Powell House (approx. 5.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Blackwood“Death of the Fox” (approx. 6.9 miles away); Jonas Cattell (approx. 7.1 miles away); Bodo Otto (approx. 7.1 miles away).
More about this marker. Pitman Grove is one of several Methodist Camp Meeting locations in south Jersey which include Ocean City and Ocean Grove.
Also see . . . Pitman Grove (Wikipedia). (Submitted on February 27, 2021, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 233 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. 4. submitted on March 8, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. 5. submitted on February 23, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.