Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Homewood in Beaver County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Homewood Iron Furnace

 
 
The Homewood Iron Furnace Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, November 11, 2011
1. The Homewood Iron Furnace Marker
Inscription.  During the term of Thomas Jefferson, the Embargo Act of 1807 was passed ending the importation of iron from England and Europe. Iron furnaces sprang up immediately in western Pennsylvania to supply the needs of the pioneers and cash-in on the high prices one could charge for this metal product. More than 200 furnaces have been recorded in the state, with three of them located in this region. They were the Brighton (now Beaver Falls), Homewood and the Bassenheim Furnace in Butler County near Zelienople, owned by Count Detmar Basse, the founder of that town.

The Homewood Furnace was constructed on the Beaver River in 1857 in what is now Wayne Township, just south of the Connoquennessing Creek near "Rock Point." It had a capacity of five tons and produced "pig iron" and miscellaneous castings such as fireplace back-plates and flat irons.

To supply the furnace, iron ore was handpicked from the surrounding grounds and charcoal was made from the trees that grew abundantly along the river. The furnace operated until it was put "out of blast" after ten years of service in 1867/1868.

When James Wood put the furnace into
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
blast, he erected a sign with the words, "Homewood Station", which later identified the nearby railroad station.

The Homewood Furnace was built by James Wood, who was born in New York City on December 17, 1789, son of a Quaker family. He came to Pittsburgh after being a riverboat captain until 1835, and at the age of forty-six he settled in Pittsburgh and became a factor in building that city. James first established a cotton mill at Third and Ferry Streets, which was destroyed by the memorable fire of 1845. After the fire, his first industrial triumph was the founding of the Woods, Edwards and McKnight iron mill. The mill was among the first to give the city its distinctive character. Later he went to Youngstown, Ohio and built a blast furnace-the first one west of the mountains to use coal as fuel. James also built the rolling mills at the mouth of Saw Mill Run, and in 1860, he built an additional four furnaces near Wheatland. James Wood continued to develop the iron industry in the area by purchasing 200 acres of land in Wayne Township at the mouth of the Connoquennessing Creek. This land was to be used for additional iron facilities near the Homewood Furnace, along the south side of the creek, and along the Beaver eastern shore. He married Hannah Baldwin soon after settling in Pittsburgh. Wood died on November 2, 1867.
 
Erected by
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Conservation & Natural Resources (PA DCNR), The Homewood Heritage Foundation.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Appalachian Iron Furnaces series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1745.
 
Location. 40° 48.82′ N, 80° 19.777′ W. Marker is in Homewood, Pennsylvania, in Beaver County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of State Steet and Roberts Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beaver Falls PA 15010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Homewood Junction (within shouting distance of this marker); Homewood Falls (approx. 0.2 miles away); Geneva College (approx. 2.9 miles away); Ingram-Richardson Manufacturing Company (approx. 3 miles away); Second Baptist Church (approx. 3˝ miles away); McKinley School No. 3 (approx. 3˝ miles away); Providence Baptist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Seamless Tube Industry (approx. 3.7 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 601 times since then and 73 times this year. Last updated on February 27, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photo   1. submitted on December 28, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=167530

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024