Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Dr. Arthur Small Rogers
Dr. Arthur Small Rogers
Erected 1996 by the Congretion of First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. (Marker Number 46-26.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion
Location. 34° 55.583′ N, 81° 1.445′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of South Oakland Avenue and East White Street (South Carolina Highway 245), on the right when traveling north on South Oakland Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 East White Street, Rock Hill SC 29732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Episcopal Church of Our Saviour (within shouting distance of this marker); White Home (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Upper Land's Ford Road (about 600 feet away); The "3C's" Railroad (about 600 feet away); Water Trough (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named The White Home (about 600 feet away); East Town Neighborhood (about 600 feet away); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse / Citizen's Building (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church / Church Leaders (approx. 0.2 miles away); Village of Rock Hill / City of Rock Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hill.
More about this marker. The First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church is located in the Rock Hill Downtown Historic District.
Also see . . . Rock Hill Downtown Historic District. The Rock Hill Downtown Historic District contains twelve contributing buildings that are of importance to the growth and development of the City of Rock Hill. (Submitted on January 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, 201 East White Street
This congregation, organized in 1895, built the sanctuary in 1897-98. In 1911, the sanctuary was enlarged with a rear gable addition. The educational building was built in 1929, with a connection hallway to the sanctuary. Later additions include the Scout Hut (1953) was an addition to the educational building (1964). The vestibules in the sanctuary building were enclosed in the 1950s, and plexiglass protective window covers were placed on the stained glass windows in 1981. The sanctuary was designed by C.C. Hook of Charlotte, a well-known architect in the region, and the educational building was designed by A.D. Gilchrist of Rock Hill. The sanctuary facade features a dominate bell tower at left front with a smaller tower at the right front and a polygonal projecting wing in the center. The large tower to the left has a spire with a finial, paneled brick corner buttresses, square recessed panels above and below rounded arched openings, and tall paired traceried windows with granite lintels and sills. The small tower to the right has a simple hip knob. The arched entrance doors under each tower and the arched windows have keystones and endblocks of granite. There are matching rose windows with triple windows beneath in the front-facing gable and each side gable. The slate
— Submitted January 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,447 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 5, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 6. submitted on March 6, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 7. submitted on January 17, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8, 9. submitted on March 6, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.