Cotton Gin in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cotton Gin Cemetery
Margarette Wills, her slaves and her son James S. Wills came to this area in 1845. Dr. James S. Wills is credited with the establishment of the Cotton Gin community in 1848. According to family history, Dr. Wills gave the land for a public cemetery with separate sections for Anglo and African Americans. Though it is likely that there were earlier burials, the oldest legible gravestone in the Anglo section is that of Mary Manning, who died in 1854 at 59. The next identifiable death date is that of an infant daughter of J.W. and A.A. Story, buried in 1858. Among the military veterans interred here is Abraham Roland (ca. 1794-1868), who fought in the War of 1812. There are at least 67 Civil War veterans interred here, as well as veterans of other major conflicts.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11886.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 31° 40.777′ N, 96° 21.123′ W. Marker is in Cotton Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Teague TX 75860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ghost Town of Cotton Gin (approx. half a mile away); Oak Island Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Shanks Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Llewellyn Notley (approx. 5.1 miles away); William Rufus Boyd, Jr. (approx. 5.2 miles away); Town of Teague (approx. 5.4 miles away); The “Boll Weevil” Railway (approx. 5.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of Teague (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cotton Gin.
Also see . . . Cotton Gin, TX.
Cotton Gin, on Farm Road 1366 twelve miles west of Fairfield in western Freestone County, was established in 1848 near the site of a mule-powered cotton gin built by Dr. James S. Wills. Wills constructed the first store in the community and served as postmaster when the post office was established in 1851. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on March 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 5, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.