Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodbine in Camden County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Camden County

 
 
Camden County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, March 11, 2021
1. Camden County Marker
Inscription.  Formed from old Colonial parishes: St. Mary and St. Thomas. Camden one of eight original counties of Georgia created by the State Constitution of 1777. County named for Charles Pratt, Earl of Camden, Chief Justice and Lord Chancellor of England. Camden County gave territory to Wayne in 1808 and 1812, and to Charlton in 1854. St. Marys was temporary County Site until Jefferson (Jeffersonton) was named as first permanent county site by an Act of Nov. 29, 1800. Jefferson seat of government sixty-nine years (1801-1871). Election held Jan. 3, 1871, authorized county seat be removed from Jefferson to St. Marys. St. Marys county seat for fifty-two years (1871-1923). Act of Aug. 11, 1923 authorized removal of county seat from St. Marys to Woodbine. Present courthouse here erected 1928.

Some of first and early settlers of the county were: Talmage Hall, James Woodland, Thomas Stafford, David & Hugh Brown, John King, John Hardee, Henry Osborne, Jacob Weed, John Web, Abner Williams, Charles & John Floyd, Nathan Atkinson, Isaac & Richard Lang, Joseph Hull, William Berrie, Thomas Miller, John Bailey, Sr., and nephew, John Bailey, and Lewis DuFour.

First
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
County officers were: Alexander Semple, Clerk of Court; Wilson Williams, Sheriff; John Crawford, Coroner; Nathaniel Ashley, Tax Col.; Robert Brown, Register of Probates.

A number of the early settlers of this county came from Acadia, San Domingo, Minorca, and Spanish East Florida.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 020-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1777.
 
Location. 30° 58.063′ N, 81° 43.406′ W. Marker is in Woodbine, Georgia, in Camden County. Marker is at the intersection of Bedell Avenue (Georgia Hwy 25) (U.S. 17) and East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on Bedell Avenue (Georgia Hwy 25). Marker is located at the southeast corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Bedell Avenue, Woodbine GA 31569, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Loading Timber Products and Turpentine (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Refuge Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Post Road (approx. 6.8 miles away); Tre Francesco Porfirio
Camden County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, March 11, 2021
2. Camden County Marker
(looking northwest • Woodbine City Hall in background)
(approx. 11.8 miles away); Joe H. Joseph / Hammond Roberts (approx. 11.8 miles away); Jacob Joseph (approx. 11.8 miles away); Treaty of Coleraine (approx. 13.7 miles away); Kings Ferry (approx. 14.3 miles away in Florida).
 
Also see . . .  Camden County (Wikipedia). Between 1776 and 1778 Camden County saw the construction of numerous forts, three failed American campaigns against the British at St. Augustine, and numerous depredations by raiders of various allegiance. Camden County was on an international border until the Adams–Onís Treaty of 1819 between the United States and Spain, making the Florida provinces American territory. (Submitted on March 11, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Camden County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, March 11, 2021
3. Camden County Marker
(looking southeast • Woodbine United Methodist Church in background)
1928 Camden County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, March 11, 2021
4. 1928 Camden County Courthouse
(located 1 block east of marker • currently houses Camden County offices)
Camden County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, March 11, 2021
5. Camden County Courthouse
(located 1 block northeast of marker)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 11, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=168000

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024