Downtown in Grand Rapids in Kent County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bishop Frederic Baraga
Ordained a Priest 1823
Consecrated a Bishop 1853
Proclaimed Venerable 2012
Erected 2012 by Grand Rapids Community Legends Project.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1797.
Location. 42° 57.486′ N, 85° 39.952′ W. Marker is in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in Kent County. It is in Downtown. Marker is on Maple Street Southeast east of Sheldon Avenue SE, on the right when traveling east. Located in Piazza Secchia Park, east of the Cathedral of Saint Andrew. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 Maple St SE, Grand Rapids MI 49503, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Ladies Literary Club (approx. ¼ mile away); Roger B. Chaffee (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grand Rapids Veterans Memorial and Honor Roll (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kent County Civil War Monument & Fountain (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Cecilia Music Society (approx. 0.4 miles away); First (Park) Congregational Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); May House (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Castle (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Rapids.
Regarding Bishop Frederic Baraga. Bishop Frederic Baraga was declared venerable by Pope Benedict XVI on May 10, 2012.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia article on Bishop Frederic Baraga. (Submitted on March 12, 2021.)
2. Statue of Bishop Baraga statue unveiling at Cathedral Square. (Submitted on March 12, 2021.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2021, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 11, 2021, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. 3. submitted on March 12, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.