Calvert in Robertson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
Built at Sterling before Civil War, on land of Judge Robert Calvert, Texas legislator and descendant of Lord Baltimore (Maryland colonizer).
Stained glass in windows was imported. Other materials and labor were from Calvert's plantation.
Calvert's heirs gave building to the Church - then Cumberland Presbyterian. It was moved to Calvert 1868, remodeled 1877. Placed at this site in 1913.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10923.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 30° 58.927′ N, 96° 40.382′ W. Marker is in Calvert, Texas, in Robertson County. Marker is at the intersection of Barton Street and Beech Street, on the left when traveling east on Barton Street. The marker is located on the right side of the front entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Calvert TX 77837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Katy Hamman Stricker Library (about 400 feet away, measured Sneed Memorial Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 700 feet away); Former Calvert Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Calvert Foundry and Manufacturing Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); "The Calvert Bell" (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jacques Adoue Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Casimir Drugstore (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calvert.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on March 11, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.