Palacios in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Palacios
The First Presbyterian Church of Palacios was organized by the Rev. W.S. Red on June 30, 1907, in the local Methodist Church Pioneer Hall. Eighteen people joined the congregation that day, many of them active in the early growth of Palacios itself. William Clement was elected ruling elder. Duncan Ruthven, a founding member, was elected mayor when Palacios was incorporated in 1909. A church building was completed at Third and Morton streets in 1910, built at a cost of $5,393.02. In May 1911 the congregation called Dr. J.P. Green as its first full-time pastor, and the church was chartered by the State of Texas that November.
By 1912 church organizations included the Sunday School, the Westminster League, and a Ladies' Aid and Missionary Society. The congregation established a Mexican mission that year. An education building was completed in 1948. During World War II, a soldiers' center operated by the church was important to nearby Camp Hulen. A new sanctuary was dedicated in 1951. The Mexican mission became the second Presbyterian Church of Palacios in 1955.
The congregation has long been active in the cooperation of
The First Presbyterian Church of Palacios continues in the traditions of its founders, active in worship and in service to its diverse community and its mission worldwide.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12065.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1911.
Location. 28° 42.237′ N, 96° 12.816′ W. Marker is in Palacios, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and East Morton Avenue, on the right when traveling south on 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 3rd Street, Palacios TX 77465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church of Palacios (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Palacios (about 700 feet away); Kerry Duane Dale Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John’s Episcopal ChurchR.J. Hill Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Palacios Preparatory School (approx. 0.3 miles away); W.C. Williams Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Palacios Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palacios.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.