Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palacios in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Johnís Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Johnís Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
1. St. Johnís Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  

The community of Collegeport was founded in 1908 across the Tres Palacios Bay from Palacios, which had been established in 1902. Three Collegeport families organized an Episcopal congregation. Grace Theodora Smith collected donations from local residents and businesses to raise funds for land and a church building. She collected nearly all the money needed, and Bishop George Herbert Kinsolving gave the last dollars toward building the structure.

Grace Smith envisioned a Mission style structure, and the congregation purchased the lumber and concrete blocks to build it, completing it in August 1911, when the Rev. John Sloan of St. Mark's Episcopal Church of Bay City held the first service. In November of that year, Bishop Kinsolving consecrated the church, which he named Grace Church of St. Mary's Mission in honor of Smith and her hard work. Smith wed Edgar G. Jones at the church in 1914.

Because of adverse weather conditions, including a freeze, a tidal wave and a hurricane, many local residents eventually left the area and the church. The sanctuary fell into disuse by the early 1920s.

In 1922, Bishop Clinton
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
S. Quin established St. John's Episcopal Church in Palacios, which met for a time at the home of Sara Jane Pybus. In 1926, her son, Fred Pybus, and others, including J.E. Lothridge and George A. Harrison, moved the Grace Church building from Collegeport to Palacios. Bishop Quin consecrated it as St. John's Mission on March 20, 1927. Since that time, St. John's congregation has refurbished the sanctuary and added a parish hall. Membership has remained steady, and the congregation continues to gather for worship and education, a testament to the strong foundation laid by early area Episcopal residents.
 
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13090.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is March 20, 1927.
 
Location. 28° 42.1′ N, 96° 12.802′ W. Marker is in Palacios, Texas, in Matagorda County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Highway 35) and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 East Main Street, Palacios TX 77465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kerry Duane Dale Memorial (a few steps from this marker); First Baptist Church of Palacios (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); R.J. Hill Building
The St. Johnís Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
2. The St. Johnís Episcopal Church and Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Palacios (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Palacios (approx. 0.2 miles away); W.C. Williams Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Palacios Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Price-Farwell House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palacios.
 
Also see . . .  Collegeport, TX.
Collegeport is on Farm Road 1095 and the eastern shore of Tres Palacios Bay, half a mile north of Pelican Slough and two miles northeast of Palacios in southwestern Matagorda County. Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on March 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the St. Johnís Episcopal Church from the road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 11, 2021
3. The view of the St. Johnís Episcopal Church from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=169016

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024