Elba in Genesee County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First rural free delivery of U.S. Mail in New York State occurred October 15, 1896 in Elba. Successful test led to statewide implementation.
Erected 2020 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation. (Marker Number 747.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 15, 1896.
Location. 43° 4.841′ N, 78° 11.188′ W. Marker is in Elba, New York, in Genesee County. Marker is on South Main St (New York State Route 98) south of Chapel Street, on the left when traveling south. Located in front of the Elba Fire Department and Village Clerk's Office building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 S Main Street, Elba NY 14058, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory of John Young (here, next to this marker); Local War Hero (within shouting distance of this marker); Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Southworth Elba Mucklands (approx. 3.1 miles away); Site of Cary Collegiate Seminary (approx. 4.3 miles away); In Honor of the Men Who Served in the Great War (approx. 4.4 miles away); Centennial Park (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elba.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2021, by Bruce Kelly of Perry, New York. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on March 27, 2021, by Bruce Kelly of Perry, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?