Far Hills in Somerset County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Far Hills Station
— L.R. Simpson, Architect —
Far Hills Station was built by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in 1914 and was designed by a staff architect, L.R. Simpson. Simpson was an assistant to Frank J. Nies, a prolific architect for the railroad, who designed most of the stations in the D. L. & W.'s system. The station is exemplary of the Renaissance Revival style and has round arch window frames and surrounds, a central eytebrow dormer and a Spanish tile roof. A notable detail of Far Hills Station is the glazed green tiles set in a geometric pattern in the poured concrete walls. The station is nearly identical to the earlier Morris Plains Station, yet is constructed of reinforced concrete rather than brick. The material used for Far Hills Station was reinforced concrete due to the large scale use of this durable and versatile substance on grade crossing elimination projects being built at the time on the D. L. & W. Far Hills Station is located on the NJ Transit's Gladstone Branch which was originally chartered in 1865 as the Passaic Valley & Peapack Railroad. The name was changed to the New Jersey West Line in 1870, and on October 19, 1878, the line was acquired by the
By Alan Edelson, March 12, 2009
1. Far Hills Station Marker
By Alan Edelson, March 12, 2009
2. Far Hills Station
Click or scan to see
D. L. & W. and renamed the Passaic & Delaware Railroad. The P. & D. was extended from Bernardsville to Gladstone on April 17, 1890 after which most of the station buldings along the line were built. Electrified train service reached Somerset County in 1931. Far Hills Station was listed on both the State and national Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Photo: John Williver Collection
this page online
Erected by NJ Transit.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1928.
Location. 40° 41.116′ N, 74° 38.021′ W. Marker is in Far Hills, New Jersey, in Somerset County. Marker is on New Jersey Route 202, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Far Hills NJ 07931, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Far Hills War Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Bedminster War Memorials (approx. 0.6 miles away); African Burying Ground (approx. 0.8 miles away); Melick Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); Peapack Brook Rural Industrial Historic District (approx. 0.9 miles away); Moggy Hollow (approx. one mile away); "Natirar" (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Jacobus Vanderveer House (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Far Hills.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 878 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 13, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.