Old Clerk's Office
The law (passed by the General Assembly in 1792) called for the construction of a fireproof clerk's office on the courthouse grounds of every county. It required that each clerk reside within the county or corporation in which he held office and that he should keep his office at the courthouse or another convenient place designated by the court.
— Carl P. Lounsbury, The Courthouses of Early Virginia, 2005
The Clerk of the Court is one of the most respected and positions in local government, requiring a person who can read, write, and serve as a notary or recorder, as well as maintain court proceedings, deeds, inventories of estates, probated wills, and other documents involved in the death of a property owner. In 1792, the state charged the county clerks of the court to "carefully preserve the declarations, please, evidence and all other papers relating to any cause in court, and they shall be all filed together in the office." Prior to the passage of this law, many clerks maintained records in their home; Goochland's clerk was no exception. William Miller, Goochland's
The one-story building has Flemish bond brick on the south end facing the highway and common bond on the other walls. Unique to the building is a curved (convex) brick cornice along the front.
The building has conventional sash windows. By 1915 the door and windows were equipped with iron shutters (now removed) to protect the records stored inside from theft, vandalism and fire.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 2005.
Location. 37° 40.963′ N, 77° 53.053′ W. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of All Veterans (a few steps from this marker); Goochland County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Goochland's Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Goochland County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Goochland's Courthouse Square (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Goochland County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goochland Courthouse (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goochland.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.