Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Aurora in Kane County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Former U.S. Post Office

Downtown Heritage Tour

— 1 —

 
 
Former U.S. Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 26, 2016
1. Former U.S. Post Office Marker
Inscription.  Aurora's east/west rivalry dates back to its beginnings. Arriving in 1834 from New York state, town founder Samuel McCarty constructed two mills on the east bank of the river, and the settlement of "McCarty Mills" grew up around them. The settlement took the name "Aurora" when an official U.S. Post Office was established here in 1837. The name was suggested as a tribute to Aurora, New York, located in an area from which many of the original settlers came. On the west side of the river, the village of "West Aurora" developed. The two united as the "City of Aurora" in 1857.

The Post Office had no permanent home until this time, when Joseph Stolp donated land on the centrally-located Stolp Island. A temporary wooden structure was used until the Post Office moved into the first floor of the newly-constructed City Hall building in 1865. In 1895 a larger, separate Post Office facility was opened next door.

In 1932 a new Post Office building was erected on Benton Street near Stolp Avenue at a cost of $250,000. Among many interesting features of the building are the floors, which are constructed of two by fours cut into blocks with the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
ends up. This was done to reduce the negative impact of standing all day while sorting the mail. The rectangular shape of the building is offset by the repeating arched windows. The exterior also features terra cotta detail and gargoyle water spouts. Aurora's Post Office remained in this location until 1988 when it moved out of the downtown to a new facility on North Broadway. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1932.
 
Location. 41° 45.388′ N, 88° 19.09′ W. Marker is in Aurora, Illinois, in Kane County. Marker is on West Benton Street, 0.2 miles east of South Lake Street (State Route 31), on the right when traveling east. Marker is located along the sidewalk, directly in front of the former U.S. Post Office building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18 West Benton Street, Aurora IL 60505, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aurora Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); BPO Elk's Club Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Second National Bank (about 600 feet away); Grand Army of the Republic Memorial Hall
Marker detail: Aurora Post Office, 1971 image. Click for full size.
Courtesy Aurora Historical Society
2. Marker detail: Aurora Post Office, 1971
This photograph, taken in 1971, shows the former Post Office, constructed in 1932. Note the terra cotta detail and gargoyle water spouts.
(about 600 feet away); Aurora Silverplate Manufacturing Co. (about 600 feet away); Dedicated in Memory of Our Fathers (about 700 feet away); Leland Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aurora Hotel • Leland Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aurora.
 
Regarding Former U.S. Post Office. Contributing property, Stolp Island Historic District, NRHP #86001487. Currently home to the Sci-Tech Hands on Museum of Science and Technology.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Aurora, Illinois — Downtown Heritage Tour
 
Also see . . .  United States Post Office circa 1930. The Post Office building is an arcaded block building, featuring a series of evenly spaced, round arched window openings. It is a commercial style that was popular during the early 20th century, and was derived from the great arcaded porches built in Italy during the Renaissance. (Submitted on April 5, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Former U.S. Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 26, 2016
3. Former U.S. Post Office Marker
Former U.S. Post Office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 26, 2016
4. Former U.S. Post Office
(Sci-Tech Hands on Museum of Science and Technology)
Former U.S. Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 26, 2016
5. Former U.S. Post Office Marker
(window, gargoyle, and terra cotta detail)
Former U.S. Post Office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 26, 2016
6. Former U.S. Post Office
(marker visible along sidewalk, near center)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 350 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 5, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170200

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024