Pawleys Island in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
All Saints Parish (1767) / All Saints, Waccamaw
The parish church of All Saints Parish, Waccamaw, has stood on this site since 1737. A brick Greek Revival sanctuary built in 1843 burned in 1915 and was replaced in 1917 by a church replicating that design on a smaller scale and which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. The present sanctuary was built in 1988.
Erected 2001 by the Pee Dee Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century. (Marker Number 22-54.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list.
Location. 33° 28.044′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pawleys Island SC 29585, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. School House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Waverly Building (approx. 1.9 miles away); Pawley’s Island / Waccamaw Neck (approx. 2.6 miles away); R.F.W. Allston Causeway (approx. 3.1 miles away); R. F. W. Allston House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Joseph & Theodosia Burr Alston (approx. 3.4 miles away); P. C. J. Weston House / Pelican Inn (approx. 3.4 miles away); Ward House (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pawleys Island.
Also see . . . All Saints History. “All Saints Parish, Waccamaw was established by the Colonial Assembly of South Carolina in 1767. George Pawley and William Poole purchased 50 acres of land from Percival Pawley in 1745 to be used for the building of a Parish of the Church of England. The name Waccamaw comes from a local tribe of Indians who inhabitated the area prior to 1730; their arrowheads and jewelry were found along the Waccamaw River and are on display in local museums.” (Submitted on March 14, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,303 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 14, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.