Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Farmersville in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First National Bank of Farmersville

 
 
First National Bank Of Farmersville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jesse Nelsen, March 3, 2021
1. First National Bank Of Farmersville Marker
Inscription.  

Named for the occupation of many of its citizens, the town of Farmersville was founded in the mid 1850s. A private bank, the Exchange Bank was established in 1885, and housed in the rear of the Aston Brothers store. A national bank charter was obtained on January 17, 1887, and the Exchange Bank merged with the First National Bank of Farmersville. Pioneer Doctor A.H. Neathery served as the first president. The bank building, then located at 119 South Main Street, was destroyed by fire in 1905 but it was rebuilt.

The First National Bank absorbed the Farmersville National Bank in 1929. In 1933 the First National Bank of Nevada, from the small town of Nevada south of here, was also absorbed. Despite experiencing heavy losses and undergoing two reorganizations during the Depression of the 1930s, the bank never failed and its customers suffered no interruption of services.

The bank moved to its present location in 1970, and expanded the building in 1979. The bank converted to a state bank charter in 1986, and changed the name to the First Bank at Farmersville. The bank, one of the 20 oldest independent banks in Texas, has served
First National Bank of Farmersville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jesse Nelsen, March 3, 2021
2. First National Bank of Farmersville Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Farmersville and the surrounding communities continuously for more than 110 years.
 
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6154.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is January 17, 1887.
 
Location. 33° 9.772′ N, 96° 21.742′ W. Marker is in Farmersville, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Johnson Street and McKinney Street, on the right when traveling north on South Johnson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Farmersville TX 75442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Farmersville (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Audie Murphy’s Homecoming (about 700 feet away); Farmersville Masonic Lodge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bain-Honaker House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Methodist Church of Farmersville (approx. ¼ mile away); Honaker-Holsonbake House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Farmersville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Farmersville I.O.O.F. Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmersville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170534

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021